Friday, August 06, 2004

"What's a Cubit?"

Last night I did my fatherly duty and abandoned my wife and Boy to go out and play golf at the club where I'm a member, The Links At Montague. It was Thursday night Men's Night. The very first time I'd played, months ago now, the field was depleted by the threat of inclement weather. Actually, I remember that it rained right up until the time I pulled up into the parking lot. Good timing for me and those brave golfing souls of my ilk, bad luck for everyone else.

No one was more surprised than I when the eventual winner of the evening was.... ME! It was like Phil Mickelson after the Masters when I got home. Daddy won! Can you believe it?!?!

Last night there was a full field and great weather and I shot a stroke better than my previous personal best (which had been the score from that first Men's Night). My 3-over last night was good enough for a tie for second.

This evening, Boy looks up at me at the supper table and enquires straight out of the blue:

Boy: How was "Men's Night", Daddy?
Me (surprised): Great! Daddy played his best ever and got second place.
Boy (after a long pause): Is Men's Night ... golf?
Me: Yes, sweetheart, it is.
Boy: Oh. (He giggles sheepishly.) I didn't know that.

No comments: