Monday, May 01, 2006

Alpha Male

The Boy has a new girlfriend. Her name is Claudia. Apparently her favours shifted from a different boy on the schoolyard to my son. I'm not completely clear on why, but hey, Grade One's complicated. And I'm overstating the relationship of course, but that's something else that parents do with their children. Because it's fun. I grilled the Boy on the new girl to get an idea on how this all came about. He said he asked to play with her over recess and this time she said yes. Something close to that.

I was quick to moralize.

That's the value of being persistent, I said.

Claudia, apparently, likes to play Playstation. The Boy has invited her over to our house to play a game that they both like:
Hot Shots Golf Fore. It's a game the the Boy has been playing a lot lately. It's replaced Crash NitroCart as his favourite one to play. I know it's only a video game, but I'm surprised at how much better he's been getting at it lately. I also like that it's such a good simulation of the game, that he's picking up nuances that he can take to the real golf course. How the wind, the  lie of the ball, the slope of the ground, the break on the green all contribute to what you need to do to make a good shot.

I came home the other day and he's downstairs playing.

Me: Hi. How are you doing?

Boy: Claudia is coming over to play. I'm practicing just in case she's good.

No comments: