Thursday, April 27, 2006

Early On In The Week From Hell.

Our normal routines are in complete disarray since the wife is on a full week of having to report to work at 4am. This means my work day shifts  from 7am - 3pm to 9am - 5pm on account of somebody has to get the Boy to the schoolbus. That would be me. And I'm finding those two hours of "Me Time" that I'm not getting anymore in the late afternoon make all the difference in the world when you're not able to get to the gym or the driving range (recently open) or for any after-work chores.

So early in the week, fresh back from my business trip to Houston, I decided to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things we needed then head over to the Daycare to get the Boy. You should know that the past two weeks involved a family trip to Florida, a family trip to Newfoundland to spend Easter with Nanny, being fogged in and stuck for an extra day in Newfoundland, Daddy leaving the very next morning after that (4 am) for the Houston trip, Mommy having a big reunion party downtown and the Boy being travelled up to stay with Granny and Poppa since both Mommy and Daddy were gone for the weekend. All this to say that there wasn't much opportunity to grocery shop for the period of two full weeks. The fridge and the cupboards were pretty empty. I took it on myself to get a few things to make supper and make sure that the cats at least had some food for the next couple of days.

From the store's parking lot, I called the Daycare (me walking toward the big front entrance to the store) to let them know I'd be there in about 10 minutes to pick the Boy up, please get him ready.

The lady on the phone said that Mamma had already picked him up.

I stopped walking. As far as I knew, Mamma wasn't supposed to be home yet. I thanked the Daycare, hung up and called the house. A Boy picked up the phone.

Me: Hi. I thought you were still at the Daycare! I just called them to say I was coming and they told me that you were already gone!

Boy: Mamma already came and picked me up.

Me: Yeah? How was your day?

Boy: Good.

Me: What's Mamma doing. Getting supper ready?

Boy: Yes.

Me: Hmmm. Does she need me to get anything while I'm here at the store?

Boy: She already went to the store.

Me: She what?

Boy: Yes, she went to the store before she came to pick me up. Where are you?

Me: I'm at the store right now. I came straight here from work to get something for uus for supper and then pick you up.

Boy: Well, that was a waste of time.

No comments: