Wednesday, January 18, 2006

War. Games.

There was a vehicle accident in Afghanistan that involved Canadian soldiers. My brother is a Canadian soldier, a senior officer in the Royal Canadian Regiment. He was sent over there to lead the investigation in to the accident. Three days ago, a suicide bomber drove into a convoy. My sister-in-law received a call from my brother that basically went like this:


Bro: You're going to be hearing something on the news and I wanted to tell you I'm okay.

Sis: Is everyone on the team okay?

Bro: Yes.

Sis: Is everyone else okay?

Bro: I'm not on a secure line.


Turns out the attack killed a Canadian diplomat and seriously, gravely injured three Canadian soldiers.

That night the Boy and I said a special God Bless for his uncle so that he'd be safe. I explained that my brother, who we call Unca Jokes,  was over there in a war and that he was trying to keep other people safe so that the war would get over and there'd be peace.

This morning, waiting at the bus stop for the overdue schoolbus, out of the clear blue (which is the way these things usually happen), the Boy asks:

Boy: Is Unca Jokes still alive in the war?

Me: Yes he is.

Boy: Does he still have all his health?

No comments: