Sunday, February 05, 2006

Say Cheeseburger.

So I've seen "Super Size Me." 

The part where the guy throws up after eating his super-sized quarter-pounder meal was noteworthy. As was the part where his doctor told him, you should stop or you might die. It was interesting to see the documentarian describe how McDonald's targets the kids with their advertising so they'll bring in their parents.

Now, you don't have to watch the movie to know that fast food is bad for you. So to pre-empt the marketing assault McDonald's makes on my child, I've always made it a key component of my counter-assault that whenever we go by a McDonald's, I call it "Yucky Ol' McDonalds". I think I may have mentioned this previously, somewhere in this blog. After seeing the movie, I'm better equipped to explain to him why. How, in the movie, the guy ate only McDonald's for a month and really made his body sick. I figure it's good to be able to tell him all this and leave an imprint because he's only too quick to tell me how it's his friends' favourite place to go eat.

So, anyway.

It's Saturday and it's music lesson day, and his lesson ends at 1:30 and neither of us has had lunch. I figure I'll spring for a restaurant so long as it's cheap. I ask the Boy and he tells me that it's up to me to pick. I tell him I'm either thinking Pizza Girls or Dairy Queen.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Hardly what you'd expect from an anti-advocate of the fast food franchise, huh.

Be that as it may.

Despite his assurance that he wanted to leave the choice to me, the Boy decides he'd like to go to Wendy's. Now of all the fast food places, you could argue that Wendy's has been the most unapologetic about catering to Mrs. Big and Mr. Large. After all, they don't make things Super, they make them "Biggie". Did you notice when their ads didn't use a lot of skinny people?

So the Boy has picked Wendy's and he's looking to justify that Wendy's is okay since it's not as yucky as McDonald's. I tell him that, really,  it's mostly the same fattening things like burgers and fries and cheese and pop.

Same as McDonald's.

Boy: But McDonald's make you fat and sick. Wendy's only makes you fat.

No comments: