Tuesday, July 20, 2004

So We Begin

Only 43 sleeps shy of five years late.
A trove of lost quotes. So I better start writing the rest down before they're all gone.

This is a record of the strange, beautiful, wonderfully funny, bizarre observations of the world around us, comments uttered completely guileless by my four-year old son.

Catching up:

Me: I love you.

Boy: I love you more.

Me: I love you to the farthest star and back.

Boy: I love you to empty space.

Me: It's not a contest....



From the restaurant:

Boy: Daddy, I'd like more to drink.

Me: Well, ask the waitress, sweetheart.

Boy (shyly): No. You.

Me: It's not hard. Just say "Excuse me, miss. Could you -" and then ask her for what you want.

Boy: Excuse me, miss. Could you take off your clothes?

(Fortunately asked before the waitress had returned.)




From the department store:

Boy: What are you going to do when we get home (question asked for the umpteenth time).

Me (exasperated but joking): Give you a kick in the bum.

Boy: What are you going to do when we get home and don't say kick in the bum.

Me: I'm going to give you two kicks in the bum.

Boy (proclaiming for all in the check-out line to hear): Next time you say kick in the bum, I'm going to kick you in the PENIS.

Me (after a pause to the red-faced and tittering check-out girl): Guess he told me.




At home:
I had to play bad guy and after several warnings sent the Boy to his room for not leaving Mummy alone when she was sick. Two minutes later (only two) I went up and got him and explained the reason for his little punishment. Following that with little sobs:

Boy:: Mommy's number one and you're number two. I love Mommy to the stars and back. I only love you to the sun.



In the car, returning from our Sunday golf game:

Boy: Daddy, what countries have I been?

Me: Well, you've been to Canada and the United States. You've been to Boston, Newfoundland, PEI, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. You've been to Ottawa and to Montreal to see the Expos.

Boy: Where have you been?

Me: I've been to the same places you have. And I've been to Houston and Los Angeles and San Diego. Vancouver and Victoria. Toronto.

Boy: What countries have you not been?

Me (now picturing an atlas in my head): Oh, Poland, Brazil, none of the former Soviet Republics (this last with an inward grin), nothing in South America or Central America.

Boy: Have you been to England?

Me: No. Not to England or Ireland or Scotland or Wales.

Boy: Whales?

Me: I haven't been to Norway or Finland or Denmark or Sweden.

Boy:
Where else have you been?

Me: I've been to France, though. And Germany and Austria. I've been to Greece and New York and Charlottesville, North Carolina and Cozumel, Mexico. I lived in Bermuda for three years.

Boy: Daddy, have you been to heaven?





Monday 19 July 2004:

Boy: "You're the worst Daddy ever." That one stung a lot.

Later that night going to bed you gave me a hug and a kiss and tweaked my nose.

Boy: "Are you happy now Daddy?"

Me: "Yes, Sweetheart. Now I'm happy."

Boy: "Yay! I made Daddy happy!"

No comments: