Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Biggest, Happiest Thing

After a week of living with his Dad, the Boy misses his Mamma. I'm pretty sure it's because she gives better cuddles. Day 7 dawns and the Boy's feeling a bit owly. A bit sad. A bit mopey. But Mommy's coming home this evening. We'll be going out to pick her up at the airport. This will be the big event in a day that's filled with stuff. So I said to a Boy:

Me: Hey. You can't be sad today. We have a whole lot of happy things that are happening today.

Boy: What are they?

Me: Well, I can think of three. Can you think of anything?

Boy (sadly): No.

Me: Well, it's Saturday. What happens on Saturday?

Boy: We go to music class?

Me: Right. And who are we going to meet there?

Boy: Olivia?

Me: Right. So that's one thing.

(Olivia is his best friend who just this last year moved away and so no longer lives right next door.)

Me: And what else are we going to do today with Olivia.

Boy (glum):  Go to a movie.

Me: Right and what's the third thing.

Boy: Have popcorn and spicy drink?

Me: Yes. Right. I hadn't thought of that one. So there are four things. What else?

Boy: Go to lunch with Olivia and Guy?

Me; Yes, that too. Five things.

(At this point I'm really starting to feel like I'm in a Monty Python skit...)

Me: What else? What's the big thing, the happiest thing for today?

Boy: I don't know.

Me: I'll give you a hint.

We're standing in the kitchen next to the refrigerator. On the fridge, held by one of those magnet thingies, is a collection of three holiday pictures from our trip to Florida. I point to the middle one which I took in a beach-side restaurant. The Boy and his Mom are having a hug and smiling at the camera.

I point to the picture. It's a give-away, pointing at his Mamma who's coming home tonight. The biggest, happiest thing.

Boy: We're going to a restaurant!

No comments: