Thursday, June 30, 2005

Sleepless (?) Summer Storms

After a very miserable spring (wet, cold) summer has roared in with soaring temperatures and high humidity. The nights have been hot and sticky lately. Perfect conditions for thunder-boomers. I awoke last night to the sound of thunder (how far off, I sat and wondered). The thunder grumbled and rumbled from far away from the sound of it; the storm never did get right on top of us. The lightning flashes were fairly frequent and at one point  the skies opened up and you could really hear the rain pounding against the house and the road.

Beside me, the Boy slept on.  I only had the vaguest recollection of him coming into the room.

In the morning he slept through the alarm. I turned it off, got up, shaved and showered. Coming out of the shower, there was that sleepy little face beaming up at me. He sat on the toilet to have a happy pee and I started to towel off.

Boy: Daddy, did you hear the thunderstorm last night?

Me (surprised, I thought he'd slept through it): Yes. Did you hear the thunderstorm?

Boy: No.

Me (baffled): Then how did you know there was a thunderstorm?

Boy: I saw it on the Weather Network.

He's his mother's son all right.

No comments: