Saturday, December 04, 2004

Santa Clone

Today, the Boy was invited to one of his classmate's birthday party. We spent part of the morning going to the mall to get a present for the party. The parking lot was jammed full with the start of the silly season. We enter the mall from the far end - it was the only parking spot we could find - and who should we see when we went in ... but Santa!

After a bit of gentle persuasion, the Boy decides to go sit on Santa's lap and tell him want he wants for Christmas (remote controlled car). Santa asks him if he's been good and then double checks the answer with me, gives him a candy cane and a book and off we go to get the gift. I wonder aloud about going to another mall to see if I can find Mommy a Christmas present and - whoops - mention about seeing Santa again in the other mall. Umm, Santa is fast and magical, after all. And wouldn't you know (fortune favours the foolish), on our way back out to the car, Santa wasn't there. Daddy, quick as a whip, informs the Boy:

Me: Hey. He must have gone over to the other mall.

Later, we're driving back from the birthday party and the Boy is asking me if he's been good this year because he'd like to get a lot of presents from Santa.

Me: Yes. You've been good. In fact, Santa knows that because he asked you in the mall this morning. And double-checked it with me.

I thought about this for a tick and said:

Me: In fact, Santa didn't need to ask me or you if you were good because Santa knows if boys have been good or bad. He didn't need to ask you or me. That was pretty silly of Santa!

Boy: I think there's two Santas. I think there's a Santa who lives at the North Pole with the Missus and gives out the toys and another Santa who goes to the stores.

No comments: